Featured Post

Introduction

What if I tried to listen to all my music-in order? Every song, on every album, by every artist (alphabetically)- in chronological order. ...

Monday, February 13, 2017

Interlude/Reflection

I started listening to my music collection alphabetically at the end of last summer; it is now deep winter. I have just made it to the As. I listened to 20-some bands whose names start with numbers or symbols. Assuming it's going to take approximately 6 months on average to get through each letter, that means this project could last over a decade. I'm OK with that. I'm committed to the bit at this point. I was really steeled by the 311 experience. I'm sure there are worse bands in the world, and some of them will have far more than eleven albums. But now I am looking forward to such challenges. The whole thing can have a bit of a masochistic element to it, but mostly I appreciate the musical blend of challenge and fulfillment.

The project remains decidedly subjective. I can only offer my perspective and it is not meant to be absolute. While I want to write briefly about each band I listen to, the response is meant to be mine alone, and won't always be an exhaustive look at the artist or their catalog. I am also limited by the confines of the digital library I have chosen to associate with (Google Play), allowing its choices to make most of my cataloging decisions. I also need to become a better write because I feel like I am constantly using the same phrases to describe the music.

As far as the Numbers:
50 Cent probably nudges out 311 to take The Worst
Later-day 10,000 Maniacs and all of 112 made for some difficult listening as well.
The 145s are The Best
I discovered a couple bands I liked that I knew nothing about before: +/- and 100s
2 Live Crew is more somehow both more complex and far less complex than people give them credit for.
I'm glad I can tell the difference between 2 in Rhythm and 2 Unlimited now....

More to come....

1 comment:

  1. Complete-ists unite. If Dr. Look can watch all those 'Zilla movies, and I can read every Conan book, you can listen to all your music.

    1-4-5s fight on!

    ReplyDelete