Featured Post

Introduction

What if I tried to listen to all my music-in order? Every song, on every album, by every artist (alphabetically)- in chronological order. ...

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Advantage

The Advantage covers the songs from various Nintendo game soundtracks using traditional guitar, bass, and drums instrumentation. They stick strictly to original NES games. There are never any vocals, and usually there aren't any keyboards either. It's a bit of a novelty act, but it seems they were one of the first to do it. In fact, they are given credit for creating the genre known as Nintendocore (although Horse The Band actually coined the term). There are several other bands subsequently doing this type of thing; Powerglove and Minibosses come to mind.. These guys started doing it in high school in California in 1998. They play with the drummer from Hella. They have two albums. I listen to them a ton because of my obsession with instrumental music. I've heard each of the 30 songs on their 2004 self-title album many times, though rarely in order as a full album. Some of these works so well as real rock songs. Sure, we all love hearing the Mario songs, but who knew "Metal Gear (Jungle)" was such a slamming metal song? This was also the first time I noticed that the soundtrack from the Goonies video game contains  an allusion to the Cyndi Lauper song from the movie soundtrack (,which from now on I will always associated withe the time I saw Corey Feldman and his Angels sing it live). I was less familiar with 2006's Elf Titled, but it is more of exactly the same. Only their 2010 B-sides anthology adds occasional electronica elements. Some of the songs on that album are labeled: (2005 tour). They don't sound live, so maybe these are just additional songs recorded for a CD to sell on tour. As a matter of fact, I saw them on their 2005 tour, downstairs at the Middle East in Boston. It was good, packed, and well-received, as I recall. It went something like this:



No comments:

Post a Comment