Featured Post

Introduction

What if I tried to listen to all my music-in order? Every song, on every album, by every artist (alphabetically)- in chronological order. ...

Thursday, January 26, 2017

The 5.6.7.8s

You may remember The 5.6.7.8s as the band in that scene of Kill Bill, and damned if it isn't one of the realest things captured on film (that year?).





or that Vonage commercial.




1994 to 1996 was a glorious time, ripe for them to put out two good albums. That's all I got streaming here anyway, although there are actually a handful of other albums between 1991 and 2014 that aren't showing up in my digital library. [But that's what I'm listening to- whatever is available streaming.] They released two new songs in 2016 - still great! Yes, the vocals are raw. That's why we are here! File under garage rock - for real! And yet they were in  that mainstream movie and commercial. Love those 90s. They are a Japanese trio that is playing American rock music, so there's that.

And Wikipedia says,
"Even though the group mostly sing their songs in Japanese, they do many covers of American rock and roll records from the 1950s to the 1980s. However, their official website and most of their fansites and fanclubs are in Japanese, as they have their biggest following in their home country."

(But you know what Wikipedia does NOT mention?  That time The 145s from Austin,TX  played in Japan with the 5678s, in what I can only imagine was called The 145678 Tour. As there is now a cheesy cover band also called the 145s, limited evidence of their very existence continues to diminish, but I found this. It might as well be on geocities. Love it.)

The 5678s are super fun. Enjoy them at your next mixer. I guess we are stylizing it as The 5.6.7.8s, but I can't bring myself to use the apostrophe.

No comments:

Post a Comment