Featured Post

Introduction

What if I tried to listen to all my music-in order? Every song, on every album, by every artist (alphabetically)- in chronological order. ...

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

50 Cent

One of the great things about this project is that if anyone ever asks me, "Hey - do you like 50 Cent?" then I can be like, "No," and it's not some sort of half-baked, unfounded position. I have listened to every single 50 Cent song at least once and found them all to be severely lacking. I don't have to like everything. At least I listened to it once.

Please don't tell him. I do not want to piss this guy off, but... he mumbles. He's a truly awful singer. The beats are boring, and the music is an afterthought. I suppose in that golden era of 2005, before America suffered mass-shooting on a semi-regular basis, someone thought it would be a good idea to recreate all the horrific sounds of a mass shooting on an album, but I have no idea who considers that valid entertainment. Not me (and I'm pretty open minded). Even the hits are mild."In Da Club" may have set a Billboard  record as the most listened-to song in radio history within a week, but it is totally forgettable; I have literally already forgotten it. "Candy Shop" is not as good as it sounds like it should be. I'm sorry- I normally come to the defense of East Coast rap and I <3 NYC, but this stuff does nothing for me. His six albums felt like 20; I did not like the redundant and hackneyed themes of the lyrics and found it all to be virtually amusical. And then I gotta listen to Eminem too?! Nah.

At one point he had a viral video of him making fun of an autistic teenager working as a janitor in an airport. Another time he got hauled into court for claiming to have no money but posting pics of stacks of bills on Instagram. He has various complex business ventures. He's got feuds with Ja Rule, The Game, and Rick Ross among others. He's had various ugly civil and criminal matters to handle. I guess that's the whole point of the appeal to some, right? Legit street cred? That and the abs. You really can't argue with those guns either. Glad he started acting. Not trying to be mean, but seriously.




No comments:

Post a Comment